Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Daylily Blog

Since I've last written, I have enjoyed a much-needed vacation to beautiful Panama City Beach Florida. Considering the daylilies have virtually consumed me for most of the spring and summer, it was good to get away for a few days so I could have some time to digest my gardening efforts and accomplishments, and to contemplate next year's activities.

Upon my return to Knoxville, the change in the weather was dramatic! Adjusting from Florida's upper 90's to Knoxville's 60's during the daytime was quite a shock!  Scattered frost has even been predicted in some areas here. I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet and wouldn't mind a few more weeks of mild sunny weather.

Still, it was exciting to see the change in the daylillies when I came home. Several more have sent up new shoots and most plants have grown about a foot, which is filling in the new bed nicely. I still have a few plants in 2 gallon pots that I need to get in the ground. Thankfully, I have some empty spaces around the gardens, though I like to take into consideration flower color and size before permanently placing the daylilies. I'll mull these details over during the next few weeks.  Hopefully I'll get most, if not all, the potted plants in their new home before the really cold weather hits.

I have a sloped area curving around the edge of the front lawn which I think would be a great spot for some of the darker colored daylillies, due to the partial shade, which tends to keep the darker flowers from washing out in the hot sun. I'll add some splashes of color as well. Because of the large trees, (and roots,) in the sloped area, I'll have to give some thought as to how and where to put what. Sinking some 4 gallon pots directly in the ground may offer a solution to the tree root issue, keeping the roots from invading the daylily growing spaces.

I'm looking forward to the change of the season, and the winter rest from gardening.  It's been a busy and productive year and looking back, I've managed to get more done than I had envisioned. I am quite pleased!

I will add here that the pine straw mulch continues to work well. The few weeds able to make their way through are easily pulled out, and the pine straw seems to be holding in moisure, thus cutting down on the need for watering.

The bloom season next year should be an explosion of color! I look forward to seeing some old "friends" along with the excitement of new introductions blooming for the first time. Daylillies are constantly evolving thanks to the hybridizers, and each season brings more must have's to my list!  For me, this is what keeps the hobby so addictive - the fantastic new plants introduced each year, and like the new flowers, I also find my tastes changing. 







Until next time, have fun gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment